Friday 11 January 2013

Initial Designs for Digipak/Magazine Logos

These are some initial designs for the two logos that will be needed for my digipak and/or magazine: The Colours (the artists name) and Tonight [I Let You Go]. I have shown the designs without colour and with colour.







These are all quick designs that could be used as inspiration for the actual logos I use for my digipak and/or magazine. The Colours logos primarily play on the word "Colours"; one of my favourite designs, personally, is the one on the bottom-right that uses coloured squares to create a simple, yet stylish, image. The design on the top left could be used in a design similar to Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto (a similar band to The Colours) cover (shown right). The mix of colours in the background of my design is also similar to the mix of colours in the M and X on this design.
For the Tonight [I Let You Go] design, I also tried this kind of design. The T design on the right is similar to Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto digipak front panel design, except that instead of a mix of vibrant colours in the background it uses "onigh" as the word Tonight begins and ends with T. If you apply the large T to the "onigh", you intuitively arrive at the word Tonight - this makes the consumer think about the product and, crucially, remember it.

My favourite design on the Tonight [I Let You Go] design page is the lyric card design. We have researched and used these a lot in our music video, so this logo links into that. Different colours can be used to link to the band, The Colours (as with most/all of my designs), and the different parts of the name Tonight I Let You Go are used on each lyric card - just as one word is used on each lyric card in our music video and in Subterranean Homesick Blues by Bob Dylan, the song that heavily influenced the lyric card section of our music video - to create both an innovative, intuitive design and an intertextual reference to Bob Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues.

Only the word Tonight is used in some of the designs as I think that this could be better as the albums name - it is much easier to say and remember than Tonight I Let You go and would help the marketing of the album - people would be able to remember the word Tonight easily, causing them to be more interested in the album.

The two designs I have picked as my favourites - the colour squares and lyric cards designs - also have potential as digipak designs, in different iterations. For example, the panels of our digipak could consist of different lyric cards making up the name Tonight I Let You Go.

1 comment:

  1. I like your 1st and 4th design but not too sure about all the colours which are distracting. The 1st design is effective and more sophisticated whereas this version in colour looks like a box of smarties. Think about the demographic of your target audience. Also consider using black and white graphics against a rainbow background.

    Designs 1 & 3 are not so strong. Keep working at your ideas. An impressive start to planning your print productions

    ReplyDelete